Annual Conference 2020 – Annual Meeting & Elections
Mt Pleasant Comfort Inn & Suites
2424 South Mission, Mt. Pleasant, Michigan 48858
Phone: (989)772-4000 * www.mtpcomfortinn.com
We would like to encourage each of you to start thinking about if you would be willing to serve on the Board of Directors.
It is amazing the amount of talent, gifts, and time given by the leadership and their care and concern for our organization as a whole. Once again this year, we will have several openings available. Most are for a 3 year term, and this is also a stepping stone if you desire to serve a higher office of Vice President or above.
So, you ask, what is required? Well, if you are a member in good standing and have a heart and passion to serve, we want to hear from you! You will be required to attend the annual board retreat in February (will be held at a great place again this year), attend 6 board meetings throughout the year, work through committee work, and serve the membership. It does not matter if you are fairly new to the industry or a 50 year veteran, it matters whether you want to give back to your profession. We encourage you to give it some thought, and always feel free to contact the MAA Office or any of the Board of Directors. We want to hear from you!
The Annual Business Meeting of the Michigan Auctioneers Association will be held on Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 3:30 PM at the Comfort Inn and Conference Center, Mt Pleasant, Michigan. The meeting will consist of officer and director elections for 2020 as well as executive/committee reports. You do not have to be registered for the convention to attend the membership meeting, however, you do have to be an Active Auctioneer member paid for 2020 to be able to vote at the meeting. Voter registration to receive ballots will be Thursday prior to the meeting.
MAA 2020 Election Procedures
- Election table: Will be open on Friday prior to the Annual meeting and will remain open during until declared closed by the presiding election committee member. Each eligible voting member shall be issued voting ballots to be used for the purpose of electing officer and director candidates.
- Eligible to vote: Active members shall be entitled to vote in person on all matters to come before the annual meeting.
- Nominating committee: Interviews of all candidates shall occur on Thursday, January 30 from 2:30pm-3:30pm. All candidates wishing to run for an office MUST go through the interview process. Those members nominated from the floor without proper application and completed interview will be considered Out of Order.
- Elections: Voting will be for:
- Vice President
- Two Directors
- Additional Director Terms may be available depending on the outcome of the officer elections.
- Listing order: Candidates will be listed alphabetically on an overhead projection screen. The screen will be placed in a clearly visible area for all voting members to see.
- Candidate presentations: Only the candidates can speak on their own behalf at the annual meeting. Each candidate will be limited to 2 minutes to introduce themselves to the membership and ask for their support. The candidates will speak in the order they are posted on the screen and by desired office.
- Requirement for election:
- Candidates for officer positions require a majority of legal votes cast to be declared elected. If no candidate receives a majority the candidate with the lowest votes is dropped and another vote is taken for that position. Voting continues until one candidate receives a majority of the legal votes cast.
- Candidates for Director positions shall be elected by plurality vote. In the case of a tie there will be a runoff vote.
- Counting the vote: The voting results will be tabulated manually by the election committee and selected members. The Chair is responsible for declaring candidates to each office contested.
- Time election takes effect: Newly elected Officers and Directors shall assume office at the close of the convention.
- Preservation of ballots: Upon the results presentation and the end of the general meeting the voting ballots shall be destroyed if no election has been contested.
- NO MATERIALS ARE TO BE HANDED OUT TO ANYONE IN THE ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING, OR WITHIN 25 FEET OF THE ENTRANCE TO THE ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING CONCERNING A PERSON(S) INTERESTED IN RUNNING FOR THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OR ANY ITEM TO BE VOTED UPON BY THE GENERAL MEMBERSHIP AT IT’S ANNUAL MEETING. (New Policy Change as of December 1, 2010).
MINIMUM REQUIREMENT FOR CANDIDATES TO BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Candidates shall be current members in good standing of the MAA and shall have been a member in good standing for at least three (3) year(s).
- Candidates will be currently active in the auction industry preferably as an auctioneer.
- Candidates will commit to being available to attend Board of Directors meetings for the term of office.
- Candidates will commit to working and contributing to one or more committees of the Board of Directors.
- Candidates for Officers shall have served as an active member of the Board of Directors for at least one full (term) within the previous three (3) years.
- Candidates shall be at least 18 years of age.
If you are interested in running for the MAA Board of Directors, please fill out the Nominating Committee Questionnaire and turn it in as indicated.
Download Nominating Committee Questionnaire HERE.